Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 9: "Roll Change Roll" -Steph King

So it's Day 9, and I feel myself settling into the city and the rhythm of life here. I look ahead, and I see in this experience an incredible capacity for beautiful change. I can see hardship ahead. I can see little victories. I can see funny moments. I can see embarrassing situations. And I can see change through it all. Partly because all of these things have already occurred in one week.

I look forward to coming home different, and sometimes it makes me want to fast forward...especially as I talk to my "dear ones" from home. However, WHAT AM I THINKING? I'm here. I need to be "all here" (Windlyrics blog). And I will be. It takes practice though. Every day is full of the most beautiful opportunities.

For one, I am learning to be a lady. Some of you, who really know me, are probably laughing at this. Two of my roommates and one in particular are very feminine and ladylike. I love it! It is a blast watching them and being around them. One of my favorite moments so far was walking by my roommates room only to see her ironing as she was watching "I Love Lucy".

One of the first signs of their influence is that I painted my fingernails! Ha, I never do this, but three of them had and were talking about it. So I gave it a whirl. My nails are now a beautiful shade of Plum Seduction (that's for you Steph K).

I went to church again this morning. No contact with the Secret Service, but it was a wonderful message on loving God with all your mind.

Last night some girls and I went to the Lincoln Memorial and The WWII Memorial. It was kind of surreal with the night sky above us, the memorials so close to us, and the city lights in the background. One of my favorite parts about the monuments was reading the inscriptions of famous quotes in our country's history. The highlight of the night probably was Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address. I had read it before for one of my classes, but it was refreshing to read again. I would recommend it.
http://www.nationalcenter.org/LincolnSecondInaugural.html

P.S. I tried to be a cowboys fan/care about football in general with one of my roommmates. FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment