Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 1: First Glance

So today was the first day of my semester interning in D.C. I actually have not started work yet nor have I moved into my apartment. Therefore, I am typing this in the comfort of a warm hotel-important, considering it is 30 degrees outside. So far my impressions are random and amount to little, but there were a couple of noteworthy parts of my day.

1. There is snow on the streets.
2. Crystal City is a ghost town on weekends, including week nights. It is creepy.
3. My metro ride consisted of two interesting displays.
a. One was of a guy who was extremely high. He was dressed very nicely in a
Ralph Lauren pullover..probably in his upper 20s..and with a friend who
was far more conscious than he was. His mouth was open, his eyes were
rolling, and he kept trying to stand up but could not quite reach the
overhead bar. It was probably 5:00 p.m.
b. The other was of a disgruntled man cussing on his cell phone about how
he needed a couple thousand dollars so he could get out of this (insert
explicit word'n)place so he could get to the west coast. I couldn't help
but wonder if he would be just as dissatisfied over there.
4. Actually the metro ride had another interesting display but it was quite separate from the other two...the ride over the Potomac River...movie-like....I liked.
5. People visiting from Asia take a lot of pictures..pictures in strange places.. Including one in front of the gift shop in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum...I couldn't tell if the gift shop was the piece of interest or the Nazi blimp hanging above.

I think I am going to like it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment