Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 2: Churchin'

So this morning my Dad and I headed out to church by way of the metro. We stopped in Union Station and I had a wonderful asiago cheese bagel for breakfast, a dear love of mine. We attended National Community Church, which is one church in 5 locations all over the D.C. area. We went to one of their location which is at a coffee house they bought called Ebenezer's right near the hill. We walked in and were a little confused because it was just a regular coffee shop, and there was obviously no service taking place in the quiet humdrum of the shop. Eventually we discovered that the actual service was held in the basement of the building.

In the meantime, a man struck up a conversation with us. He was very friendly and eventually we asked him what he did in D.C. He answered..I'm in the secret service...Ha, it seemed taboo to ask him any more questions about his work..but it was almost unbelievable. I wanted to laugh. He certainly looked like he could be in the secret service though. Anyways, people started pouring in and we eventually all headed down to the basement where people spilled over onto the floors. It was packed. The congregation was very young, 20s and 30s, and my dad felt super old. We watched the pastor speak on a screen. Apparently he rotates between locations and the rest just watch him on screen. I really enjoyed it.

Next we met with a lobbyist of an agricultural organization my dad is involved with. He was very friendly, and I received my first CARD in D.C. I felt legit except for I forgot to bring my card to exchange with him. Next time. Next time.

In the evening, I attended the welcome celebration for the agency I am working with. It was a lot of fun and exciting to see and meet the people I will be working alongside.

This is going to be a great experience.

Also, my hotel has sleep number beds. AWESOME.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're blogging about all of this :). This seems like a perfect fit for you.

    ReplyDelete